The Aquarium is located in the old harbour of Piran. All the rooms have been obtained in so called Villa Piranesi for more than forty years. In 2009, the Aquarium was renovated and got a new look with all needed modern equipment.
Twenty-five tanks illuminated with artificial light are held in newly constructed much bigger rooms. Lightning system includes a lamp “type F5” and HQI metal halogen lamp with different power and colour temperature. In this way the marine organisms are shown in their best natural colours. The aquarium tanks are of different sizes and capacities again to display better the marine organisms.
- 14 smaller tanks with a capacity from 250-400 litres
- 8 tanks with a capacity from 2.000-3.500 litres
- 1 hexagonal tank x 5.250 litres
- 1 tank x 6.000 litres
- 1 tank x 10.500 litres
- 1 octagonal tank x 11.000 litres
- 1 stone tank x 1.100 litres
Total volume of the tanks is 60.000 litres (60 m3).