JESENICE Steel and daffodils
Has the beauty of a century-old industrial complex ever struck you as much as that of a theatre or an opera house? Did you ever wonder why? You might find the answer in a story of steel and daffodils, of hard work and dreams of beauty.
Beautiful and magnificent as a cathedral, the more than a century old Stara Sava – an erstwhile steel mill settlement – seems like a sanctuary of human strength and faith in progress. Thus a near totally preserved industrial heritage site relates the story of the almost slave-like existence of its workers, who lived in housing owned by the mill’s magnate and even had to buy their bread from him. It also tells of the iron used for the construction of Eiffel Tower, the steel of the Titanic and the composite alloys used in the Large Hadron Collider – world’s largest particle accelerator – at CERN.
And then, as if by magic, each May the mountains above the town are covered in millions of white daffodils reflected in the iron, steel and the eyes staring out from old pictures.
The industrial town of Jesenice can be spotted from the road to Karavanke embedded between steep mountain slopes, and many have found it to be a town full of surprises and well worth visiting – largely due to the legacy of the iron and mining industries. The urban industrial scenes make an astonishing contrast to the mountains in full bloom above the town, and sports fans also love it because of the excellent hockey games played there. You can visit Stara Sava, a protected industrial area of the former ironworks settlement, and also learn about the history of the mining and iron making industries at the Upper Sava Valley Museum Jesenice, after that you may head off to the virgin-white plains of Golica with its fields of wild white daffodils. Na Golici is the most frequently broadcast folk melody, and was inspired by this very place.
- Guided and self-organised trips in the Municipality of Jesenice (DAFFODIL FIELDS Secret in the villages below Golica, JESENICE IN TIME A town of steel, JESENICE Town of ironmaking and hockey, …)
- Activities (Hiking, Cycling and biking tours, Skiing and ski touring, Skating and curling, Swimming, Sports track Žerjavec, Tobogganing and snowshoeing, Horse riding, The climbing wall on Stara Sava, …)
- Theme paths (Old Mining Rout, Gajšek Trail, Natural history and mining learning path at Javorniški Rovt, Slovenian geological transverse, The Jesenice circle tour, …)
- Traditional events (Intercontinental Cup in tobogganing on natural runs in Savske jame (Sava caves), Downhill for Pig’s head trophy (carnival time, Shrove Sunday), St. Joseph’s Fair, Triglav Trophy, Bonfire in Golica, Month of daffodils in Jesenice, …)
- Business tourism (Kolpern – storage for charcoal at Stara Sava, Music School Jesenice, Tone Čufar Theatre and Cinema Železar, Sports Park Podmežakla, Open air museum, Kulturni dom (House of Culture) in Slovenski Javornik, …)
- The steam train (Train ride with a trip to the wine-growing region of Goriška Brda)
Natural attractions (Ključavnice – daffodils, Zois’ Park, Mountain Golica, …)
Culture and Art (Stara Sava, Ruard Manor, Residential house Kasarna, Church of St. Mary’s Assumption and St. Rocco, …)