Situated among the rolling green hills of the Šalek Valley, with the Kamnik-Savinja Alps and Pohorje Mountains to the west, and east respectively, Velenje is embraced by nature on all sides. However, despite being less than an hour’s drive form Slovenia’s three largest urban centres (Ljubljana, Maribor and Celje) and being the country’s 5th largest city itself, Velenje, is still largley undiscoverd by tourists, both domestic and foregin.
Velenje is a youthful regional capital, that is just waiting to be explored on day-trip or a long weekend away.
MUST SEE – TOP 10 VELENJE SIGHTS:
- The largest children’s festival in Slovenia – the Pika Festival
- A unique underground adventure in the Coal-mining Museum of Slovenia
- The Most beautiful and well-maintained castle in Slovenia – the Velenje Castle, which also hosts the Velenje Museum
- The main square with the largest Tito statue in the world – Titov trg
- The refurbished and state-of-the-art town Promenade
- A water adventure at Velenje lake – Velenje beach
- The world renown delightful chocolate of Čokoladnica Lucifer
- The most beautiful Villa in Velenje – Vila Bianca
- The beautiful collection of more than 2,000 minerals from Slovenia and abroad – the House of Minerals
- The various infrastructure and fund for the young – House of bands, the Old Bakery, the Kuigunda Festival