The Fisheries Research Institute of Slovenia performs public service activities in the fields of Freshwater and Marine fisheries. It also engages in commercial activities in the areas of sport and recreational fishing and fish farming, and different research and expert tasks in the field of fisheries biology.
Since its inception, as a central, expert institution in the field of fisheries in the Republic of Slovenia, the Institute has tried to implement activities that contribute to the sustainable management of fish populations and the preservation of their diversity.
The Fisheries Research Institute of Slovenia has been in operation since 1961, when it was established under the name the Fisheries Research Institute, Ljubljana by the Executive Council of the People’s Assembly LRS (Izvršni svet Ljudske skupščine LRS). In 2001, the Government of the Republic of Slovenia reorganized it into a public institution. The Institute was entrusted with important tasks in the field of freshwater and marine fisheries.
Freshwater fisheries covers the management of fishery resources (wild fish and other aquatic animals) in inland waters. For the implementation of fisheries management the government can grant a concession.
The management of fishery resources include:
- Planning for the management of fish;
- Defining spatial units;
- Setting the rules for the sustainable use of fish (angling) ;
- Tasks related to the preservation of a favorable status of fish and the achievement of a good ecological status;
- Fishing in commercial ponds and fish farming;
- Records of freshwater fisheries and reporting;
- Professional training of employees of fishery management providers;
- Damages and compensation due to the death of fish;
- Riverkeeping service, public services;
- Other freshwater fishery-related issues; and
- The granting of concessions for fisheries management in the fisheries regions.
Marine Fisheries comprise fisheries biology and other associated activities. Tasks on the basis of the marine fisheries are carried out as a public service.
Public service activities are carried out on the basis of the Marine Fisheries Act and the Decision on the Transformation of the Fisheries Research Institute in Ljubljana into Public Fisheries Research Institute of Slovenia.
We carry out research and expert work in the field of marine fisheries, which comprises fisheries biology and fisheries economics. Within the public service, we provide expert support to the Ministry of Agriculture and the Environment. We participate in some international organizations in the field of marine fisheries.
Our work includes:
- Identification of species composition;
- Identification of species distribution;
- Determining the age with a method of reading otoliths;
- Evaluation of abundance indexes (catch per unit of fishing effort, biomass, density);
- Evaluation of catches and discards of Slovenian fishing vessels;
- Evaluating stocks of economically important species (conducted within the framework of international cooperation).
Fish farming is one of the activities of the Fisheries Research Institute of Slovenia. Wild, native salmonid fish and rainbow trout are all raised in our inland waters.
Recreational fishing in Slovenia is carried out both at sea (according to the Regulation on Leisure Fishing at Sea) and in inland waters (according to the Regulation on the Fishing Regime in Fishing Waters).
Information on leisure fishing at sea and how to obtain the license are available on the website of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Food.
Fishing in the waters of special significance, in which the fisheries management is performed by the Fisheries Research Institute of Slovenia, is permitted only in fishing districts.
Promotional fly fishing packages 2015
We would like to inform you about the promotional Fly fishing packages for Spring and Summer of 2015. On our link you can find offers during the fishing season.